Chicago-based Engineering Manager with over fifteen years of experience solving problems with web technologies. I am interested in creating performant experiences for users regardless of ability and leading passionate/ curious teams to ship awesome/ rad work.
- HTML (yes, HTML is a programming language)
- CSS (these days I am more interested in atomic-based CSS, particularly for teams, but boy-howdy is it fun to write CSS in 2023)
- Hacking on Google’s AMP-script component like its a sudoku puzzle
- PHP (Once in a job interview for a role I didn’t get I was embarassed to say that I wrote in PHP, but the hiring manager said “You know, one of the P’s in PHP stands for Pays the bills.” I’ll never forget that)
- Terraform (as well as various tools to make the AWS landscape more maintainable)
- Python (mainly used for web scraping, but if you have a Python challenge then put me in coach)
- Inclusive and equitable hiring process creation & improvement
- OKR creation and measurement
- Cross-organization program management
- On-call support rotation management, and monitoring set up (DataDog, PagerDuty, Pingdom)
- Web performance budgeting and tooling
- Making websites work in IE7
- Continuous integration (Jenkins, GitHub Actions)
Senior Engineering Manager
May 2022 — Present
- In charge of our Brand Creative Web Engineering team. Responsible for managing the resourcing and intake of projects, prioritization, and ensuring team growth and stability.
- Responsible for hiring, coaching, and mentoring an engineering team focused on creating accessible and performant web experiences that create and drive engagement and conversion.
- Achieved one of the fastest hiring rounds in Sprout history with a role kick-off meeting ➡️ verbal acceptance in 28 days (and one of my proudest hires to-date ☺️).
September 2019 — May 2022
- Received an award for exemplifying our Global Leadership Model around hiring, coaching, developing talent, and modeling inclusive leadership.
- Collaborated with our Revenue partners to create improvement strategies with process and vision alignment and create actionable long-term goals for our team.
- Created on-call rotation processes to ensure confidence from our partners across the organization.
Senior Web Engineer
June 2018 — September 2019
- Received a company value award for technical contributions to our Marketing technology stack.
- Created and maintained the infrastructure still utilized by our Marketing and Sales partners, including setting up alerting, performance testing, and continuous integration and delivery to ensure developer confidence.
- Implementation of a Content Management System and process creation to enable our Marketing partners to do their job more effectively with less of a bottleneck from development.
- Standardized our approach to web accessibility and the creation of baseline performance metrics for our Marketing stakeholders and Brand Creative developers.
July 2015 — June 2018
- Collaborated with Visual design and Marketing to bring marketing site landing pages and paid media campaigns to life.
- Created technical improvements to our WordPress stack and simplified our deployment process.
- Worked with cross-department engineers to share components and develop a shared design system.
Front End Developer
November 2013 — July 2015
- Worked as part of StageBloc’s front-end team, creating new features as well as optimizing and refactoring existing functionality.
- Played a critical role in product and UX brainstorming sessions.
- Developed custom websites and themes for music artists such as Kid Rock, Eric Church, Kenny Chesney, and Metallica.
Long Beach, CA
Lead Front End Developer
August 2011 — October 2013
- Worked as a team lead of 8 developers to provide development support to an agency primarily focused on lifestyle and streetwear brands.
- Spent a large amount of time handling git merge conflicts.